John F. Shreves represents individuals and businesses in tax, estate planning, and business matters. He is a Board-Certified Estate Planning and Administration Specialist as certified by the Louisiana Board of Legal Specialization, and he was a Board Certified Tax Specialist from 1992 to 2018.
John has significant experience in drafting and implementing all types of complex estate planning documents. This includes wills, living wills, powers of attorney, acts of donation, and revocable and irrevocable trusts. He advises clients regarding all aspects of the estate planning process, including insurance, charitable giving, asset management, business succession planning and planning for incompetence, and he has extensive experience processing successions, ancillary successions, inter vivos asset transfers, and transfers of probate and non-probate assets. John also handles elder care, interdiction and tutorship issues for the firm, including matters involving incompetence, the establishment of curatorships and tutorships, and advising tutors and curators regarding administrative and compliance issues.
John also regularly represents clients with regard to selecting, structuring and operating for-profit and nonprofit entities; securities law and ERISA compliance; planning and executing restructuring transactions such as mergers, asset and stock acquisitions, reformations, dissolutions and liquidations; transferring business ownership; and, dispute resolution proceedings before state and federal courts, the Louisiana Board of Tax Appeals and various administrative agencies. John also represents individuals and corporate clients with regard to general tax planning and tax controversies at the federal, state and local levels.
- South Dakota
- U.S. Tax Court
- LL.M. in Taxation, University of Florida, 1983
- J.D., University of South Dakota School of Law, 1982
- M.A., Augustana College, 1976
- B.S., University of South Dakota, 1974
- American Bar Association
- Louisiana State Bar Association
- New Orleans Bar Association
- Editor, “Wills”, “Tutorship” and “Corporations” Chapters of the Louisiana Civil Practice Forms, Third Edition, West Group
- Speaker at a variety of forums on estate, tax planning and business issues
- Pro Bono Publico Award, Louisiana State Bar Association, 2008
- AV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell
- Super Lawyers
- Best Lawyers in America
- 2022, Lawyer of the Year, Elder Law
- Adjunct Assistant Professor of Law, Loyola Law School
- Attorney, Louisiana Pro Bono Project
- Attorney, Gretna Senior Citizen’s Clinic