Benjamin R. Grau is a seasoned attorney and has more than 20 years of experience in a broad range of litigation, transactional, and insurance coverage matters. His experience includes representing clients in Louisiana, Texas and other jurisdictions and arbitration venues around the country. He has successfully prosecuted and defended multi-million-dollar construction payment and defect claims, products liability class actions and multi-district litigation, premises liability actions, and commercial contract disputes involving a broad range of issues, and he has the knowledge, skill and experience necessary to develop and implement a tailored plan with an end-game approach to resolve claims as efficiently and effectively as possible.
Ben is particularly adept at handling complex matters in the areas of general commercial litigation, construction law and defect litigation, insurance coverage, business interruption, premises and product liability, onshore and offshore oil and gas casualty/blowout litigation, and admiralty/maritime litigation.
He works closely with his clients and engages in early fact development to learn the strengths and weaknesses of each case to create resolution strategies. He strives to maintain timely communication throughout the process to enable his clients to make strategic business decisions as a case unfolds.
Originally from New Orleans, Ben attended Jesuit High School and Tulane University, where he earned his undergraduate and juris doctor degrees. Ben began his legal career in New Orleans and relocated to Dallas, Texas in 2006 as a result of Hurricane Katrina. While in Texas, Ben continued his professional development and expanded his practice. In 2011, Ben returned to New Orleans, the city he has always called “home.”
- Jack. B. Harper Contractor, Inc. v. United Fiberglass of America, Inc., C.A. No. 11-cv-00020 (E.D.La.) (pursued claims on behalf of a general contractor resulting in a nearly $1 million judgment following a jury trial on claims of product liability and redhibition).
- In Re: Chinese Drywall, C.A. No. 09-cv-06690 (MDL, E.D.La.) (defended a distributor/supplier against a $20 million claim resulting in a $0 verdict following a 7-day jury trial).
- Coastal Fire Protection v. Skanska MAPP, C.A. No. 2015-00060 (La. CDC) (represented a general contractor resulting in a favorable confidential settlement of payment, delay and inefficiency claims in excess of $100 million).
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Louisiana
- U.S. District Court for the Middle District of Louisiana
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Louisiana
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Texas
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Texas
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Texas
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Federal Claims
- Certificate of Specialization in Admiralty Law, Tulane University School of Law
- J.D., Tulane University School of Law
- B.A., Tulane University
- American Bar Association
- Federal Bar Association
- Louisiana State Bar Association
- State Bar of Texas
- New Orleans Bar Association
- Dallas Bar Association
- Workplace Safety Claims, American Builders and Contractors, 2011
- AV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell
- Best Lawyers in America – Construction Law, Litigation – Construction
- Past President, St. Pius X School Board
- Past President, St. Pius X Men’s Club